Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Ciao, Roma, ciao!

In January, I packed two suitcases and headed for what would undoubtedly be one of the best experiences of my life. I was excited, yet anxious. I did not know what lay ahead of me. I was one of nineteen architecture students who had the opportunity to study in Rome for one semester. Overall, the program was successful. We took advantage of our location and used the city as our classroom. Everyday, we were out in the city learning about its urban development and its history. The history of Rome is reflected in its architecture. Ancient Roman buildings are preserved while modern buildings are being constructed. We also had overnight field trips to Florence & Siena, northern Italy and southern Italy. Everyday was a learning experience. There was so much to see and take in. During spring break, I visited Basel, Switzerland and Munich and at the end of the semester, I went to London. The cities were architecturally "refreshing". It was exciting to see modern European architecture that was different from Rome.

Our apartments were in Campo de Fiori, right in the heart of the historic center of Rome.
During the day, the Campo is an open air market where fresh food is always available. Not only is Campo de Fiori known for its market, it is also known for its nightlife. Our convenient location provided us with the opportunity to explore the city with ease. We were a five minute walk from the Pantheon and about a twenty minute walk from the Vatican. Italians are very hospitable and friendly. Talking to the locals was always fun. Most know how to speak English, but it was always appreciated when conversations were in Italian. My Italian was a bit shaky, but I soon gained confidence and my speaking skills improved throughout the semester. The city is very busy and, to my surprise, fast paced. It was a little intimidating to walk around by myself, but after a while I was fine with venturing out on my own. We walked 70% of the time. When places were too far, we took the buses. By the end of the semester, I'm sure we walked the entire city.

Four months was not enough. I didn't want to leave. I loved being immersed in the Italian culture and living in Rome. The memories will stay close to my heart. All the stories and adventures throughout Italy and Europe would fill this blog up and I've definitely learned a lot about architecture and about myself. I am very grateful for this opportunity to be in Rome. Without the program, I don't think I would have done everything that we did. It added to my love for architecture as well as my passion for traveling.

Roma, tu sei il mio amore.

No comments: